advice and support regarding state benefit claims

Understanding State Benefit Claims can be difficult, particularly if you are new to the UK benefits system - we can advise and support your applications to ensure you’re not missing out.

Rate this content

If you find yourself in a situation where your financial circumstances change due to:

  • being made redundant
  • having a change in employment status
  • being unable to work due to a heath issue or disability
  • having to reduce working hours due to caring responsibilities
  • being in receipt of a low income due to retirement or becoming a lone parent

You may be eligible for state benefits from the Department for Work and Pensions. You may also be eligible for additional support via your local council. Benefits are available which are both means tested and non-means-tested.

Whatever your situation we are here to advise and support with state benefit applications and to ensure you are claiming everything you are entitled to.

what we can offer 

We can help by offering: 

  • advice and guidance about the different benefits that are available through the state benefit system and your local council
  • to carry out a benefit check to help maximise your income or provide you with the tools to carry out a check
  • assistance and support with benefit claims. We can help with the completion of claim forms
  • advice and support if a benefit claim has been declined. We can help with benefit appeals and offer representation at appeal hearings
  • short term financial assistance if you are experiencing difficulties meeting your essential expenditure whilst awaiting the outcome of a benefit claim

We recognise that finding yourself in a situation where you may need to claim benefits can often be difficult to talk about. Our support officers can provide a listening non-judgemental ear about anything benefit-related and are here to support you. If you would like to talk to a member of our team then click here to contact us.

benefits FAQs

Do all benefits take into consideration income and capital?

No. For example, if you have a health issue or disability that affects your ability to carrying out daily living tasks and/or affects your mobility then you may be able to claim Personal Independence Payment (for people under state pension age) or Attendance Allowance (for people over state pension age). These benefits are non-means-tested and do not take into consideration your or your partner’s income or capital. There are also contributory benefits which are based on national insurance contributions and can be claimed if you are unemployed (New Style Jobseekers Allowance) or are not well enough to work (New Style Employment and Support Allowance).  Please see our UK benefits page for more details on these benefits.

What happens when I contact caba?

One of our team will have a chat with you about your situation. They'll listen to you, and they may be able to identify other ways in which we can support you alongside our benefit advice services. One of our benefit advisers will then be allocated to you as your support officer, and they'll be your main point of contact at caba.

How confidential is caba?

Everything you tell us is kept in the strictest of confidence. We don't share your personal information with any third parties, and that includes the ICAEW. Caba is a separate organisation from the ICAEW and is an independent charity with its own board of trustees.

how we can help

We support the wellbeing of past and present ICAEW members, ACA students, ICAEW staff members, and their spouses, partners and children up to the age of 25. If you believe you may be entitled to receive benefit support, but are not sure about eligibility we can help. Contact our team of advisors, to discuss further.

The information in this article is designed to provide general advice only. The list of benefits is not exhaustive. Every effort has been made to make sure that the information is correct. However, as the benefits system is complicated and legislation can change, we recommend you seek expert advice in relation to your personal situation. 

training and events

6 December 2023

espresso developing a compassionate mind

Learning to support ourselves with care and kindness will equip us with the internal resources we need to manage stressful times.
espresso series

view all training and events 

your questions answered 

Who is eligible for support?

We support past and present members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales (ICAEW), ACA students, ICAEW staff members, and the family and carers of members and students. 

  1. No matter where your career takes you, past and present members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England Wales (ICAEW) are eligible for caba’s services for life, even if you change your career and leave accountancy 
  2. ACA students (ICAEW Provisional Members) who are either an active student or have been an active student within the last three years are eligible for caba's services 
  3. Past and present staff members of the ICAEW or caba are eligible for caba's services for life, even if you leave either organisation. Please note, for former employees, our financial support is only available to those who have had five years continuous employment with either organisation 
  4. Family members and carers of either an eligible past or present ICAEW member, ACA student or past or present employee of the ICAEW or caba are eligible for caba's support. We define a family member as a: 
    1. spouse, civil partner or cohabiting partner 
    2. widow, widower or surviving civil partner who has not remarried or cohabiting with a partner 
    3. divorced spouse or civil partner who has not remarried or cohabiting with a partner 
    4. child aged up to 25. Please note, children aged between 16 and 25 are not eligible for individual financial support 
    5. any other person who is dependent on the eligible individual supporting them financially or are reliant on the eligible individual’s care 
    6. any other person on whom the eligible individual is reliant, either financially or for care 

You can find out more about our available support both in the UK and around the world on our support we offer  page. 

Are your services means-tested?

If you need financial support, we carry out a means test where we consider income, expenditure, capital and assets.  

*Please note none of our other services are means-tested. 

I’m an accountant, but not a member of ICAEW, can you still help?

Unfortunately not. We only support past and present ICAEW members, their carers and their families. If we are unable to support you, where possible we will point you to help elsewhere.

caba has supported me in the past; can I receive support from caba again?

We understand that circumstances change. If we’ve helped you in the past there’s no reason why we can’t help you again. You can contact us at any time. Please call us if you need our help.

view more questions

Not got the answer to your question?