energy costs payment

If you're struggling to pay for energy costs such as heating, gas and air conditioning, our energy support payment can assist.

financial support

Everyone’s feeling the pinch when it comes to high energy costs, but no-one should be choosing between food and fuel.

Our means-tested £450 energy costs payment is available across the UK and internationally and it could help to pay for:

  • Gas, oil and electric bills
  • Back-up batteries
  • Air conditioning units
  • Back-up generators

here for the ICAEW community

Our energy costs payment is available for anyone on low income who's in need of financial support. If you receive a means-tested benefit, you automatically quality.

You can apply even if you're not receiving any means-tested benefits; simply get in touch with our team and we'll walk you through our means-testing process, which takes your income and capital into account.


In 2022, we awarded over £44,000 in energy costs payments worldwide to help chartered accountants cope with the increasing cost-of-living.

We pledge to continue to fund future fuel payments to prevent fuel poverty and financial struggles with energy bills. If you think you may be eligible to receive this payment, don’t hesitate to contact our support officers who can help.

You may be eligible for a range of UK benefits including Universal Credit and Pension Credit. Our handy blog outlines the different types of UK benefits and the financial support they offer.

read more here

reducing energy bills

It can be difficult to keep on top of increasing household bills. We have an array of advice for how to reduce your energy consumption, from conserving heat in your home, to reducing water consumption.

If you're struggling to pay your energy bills, it's also important to speak to your energy provider as they have a duty to offer support. You can also use comparison sites to ensure you're getting the best deal for your usage.


international support

We also offer support internationally, providing the equivalent of £450 in an energy payment. Hear from a caba client in Pakistan below:

caba helped with the purchase of a new air conditioner unit for me and my family. It gets very hot and humid here in Pakistan with temperatures crossing 40+ degrees Celsius so a fully functional air conditioner was in need. Had it not have been for caba’s assistance, I wouldn’t have been able to replace it due to my prevailing financial condition at that time.

caba client

Living in Pakistan

MicrosoftTeams-image (27).png

cost-of-living support

Financial support can help you cover bills and unexpected costs. Our means-tested grants and donations can be short term or one-off payments that you won't have to pay back. These can be put towards essential living payments, home repairs, funeral costs and even ICAEW membership fees.

MicrosoftTeams-image (28).png

emotional support

If you’re feeling overwhelmed with finances and it’s affecting you and your family’s wellbeing, it may be time to reach out to us. We can assess your situation and figure out the best next steps for you, whether that’s counselling, support for anxiety and stress or career coaching.

helpful articles

woman checking her finances on phone

cost of living support

If you're struggling to make ends meet during the cost-of-living crisis, our free and confidential services can help ease your money worries.

retiring with no pension -1282134093 - resized.jpg

pensions: what to do if you haven't got one

If you haven't got a pension, you could be worried about how you're going to afford to live when you retire. Here we discuss what your options are if you don't have a pension to fall-back on during retirement.


debt toolkit: six-step guide to sorting your finances

Support Officer and debt expert Lee Melling explores the steps you can take to tackle debt effectively. He also reveals how we can help you improve your financial situation.


back to school payment

Don't let rising costs hold your child back from a great start to the school year. Our back to school payment is designed to cover essential school supplies, like uniforms, shoes, PE kits, and more.

your questions answered

Who is eligible for support?

We support past and present members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales (ICAEW), ACA students, ICAEW staff members, and the family and carers of members and students. 

  1. No matter where your career takes you, past and present members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England Wales (ICAEW) are eligible for caba’s services for life, even if you change your career and leave accountancy 
  2. ACA students (ICAEW Provisional Members) who are either an active student or have been an active student within the last three years are eligible for caba's services 
  3. Past and present staff members of the ICAEW or caba are eligible for caba's services for life, even if you leave either organisation. Please note, for former employees, our financial support is only available to those who have had five years continuous employment with either organisation 
  4. Family members and carers of either an eligible past or present ICAEW member, ACA student or past or present employee of the ICAEW or caba are eligible for caba's support. We define a family member as a: 
    1. spouse, civil partner or cohabiting partner 
    2. widow, widower or surviving civil partner who has not remarried or cohabiting with a partner 
    3. divorced spouse or civil partner who has not remarried or cohabiting with a partner 
    4. child aged up to 25. Please note, children aged between 16 and 25 are not eligible for individual financial support 
    5. any other person who is dependent on the eligible individual supporting them financially or are reliant on the eligible individual’s care 
    6. any other person on whom the eligible individual is reliant, either financially or for care 

You can find out more about our available support both in the UK and around the world on our support we offer  page. 

Can caba provide me with legal advice?

If you’re based in the UK, Europe and Australia and you have a question about your legal rights or you want to get advice on a legal situation, we give you access to free telephone legal advice. For those in the UK, this advice is provided by Law Express (English and Welsh law).  

For more information, please get in touch. Our team will ask you what area of law you would like help with and will arrange for you to speak to an experienced adviser in as little as two hours. This may differ for those in Europe and Australia. You can also access free online legal information covering a wide range of topics using our legal factsheets also provided by Law Express.  

*Please note: we don’t provide financial support towards legal costs and cannot represent people legally. Our legal advice service doesn’t cover all of Europe. 

Can caba pay for my ICAEW membership fees?

If you’re struggling to pay your subscriptions, we're able to offer financial assistance which is means tested based on your household income. Whatever your situation, we're always here to offer advice to help you manage your finances.

Do I have to pay for support?

No, all our support is free.

Does caba help with debt repayments?

We can’t fund debt repayments. However, we do provide debt advice and we can help you explore options to help manage your debt. We can also help negotiate with creditors over repayments and support you in some basic legal proceedings if needed. You may still wish to have legal representation.

How confidential is caba?

Everything you tell us is kept in the strictest of confidence. We don't share your personal information with any third parties, and that includes the ICAEW. Caba is a separate organisation from the ICAEW and is an independent charity with its own board of trustees.

view more questions

can't find the answer to your question?