support for carers

Support for carers, the person you care for and people living with an illness or disability.

You could become a carer overnight or you might take on the role over many years. You could live with the person you’re caring for or they could be miles away, even in another country. Some people are carers without ever realising it. Whether you’re caring for your partner or spouse, family or a friend, it can be hard to know where to go for support and advice.

We’re here with financial support, expert advice and emotional support for carers, the person you care for and for people living with an illness or disability - whenever you need us.

specialist care support team

You’ll have your own dedicated Carer Support Officer to give you personalised advice and support. They have expert knowledge of the care sector, health services and social services in the UK. If the person you’re caring for is outside the UK, support will focus on their local situation.

"caba have staff trained in the benefits system and were able to help me complete the forms. They advised on how to make sure I made the best case for my brother and also looked at the household’s finances overall and pointed out a number of other benefits we could apply for."

Harriet's story

caba client

financial support

Our financial support for carers is means-tested; every application is assessed individually, and we consider your income, expenditure and capital. The financial support isn't a loan so you won’t have to pay it back.

Financial support could help pay for:

  • Specialist technology and equipment like a stair lift
  • Adapting your home to make it accessible and safe
  • Mobility aids such as a wheelchair or electric mobility scooter
  • Contributions towards the cost of carers coming to the home
  • Contributions towards care home top-up fees
  • Temporary respite care so that you can take a break
  • Essential living expenses you may struggle to afford


not sure where to turn for help? Talk to us.

You're not alone. We’re ready to support you whether you’re facing everyday concerns or exceptional situations. It’s why we’re here.

UK benefits and alternative support

Carers and the person being cared for may be able to claim UK benefits. Many carers miss out on financial help through benefits, government schemes, grants and other kinds of financial support because they don’t know what’s available to them. It’s a complicated area that changes every year. Our UK benefits calculator supplied by Turn2us will highlight where you could be missing out. You may find it helpful to read our simple guide to the main UK benefits. However, you don’t need to do everything by yourself because our care experts can help you make sense of it all. They’ll explore the options available to you, including other sources of support, guide you through the application processes and could help you challenge an existing benefit decision. We can also work with you to find out if there’s any local financial support if the person you care for is living outside the UK.


specialist advice for carers

We’ll guide you through the maze of organisations and services you may need to use.

If you need professional carers to come to the home, the living space needs to be adapted to be accessible or if it’s time to move into residential care, we’ll help you understand how to apply for funding from your local authority or the NHS. We may also be able to help you resolve a problem or dispute with the Department of Work and Pensions, local authority or hospital.

If you need professional, paid carers to help with day-to-day tasks like washing, dressing or eating, we can guide you to through the process of choosing the right support for your needs.

If it’s time to make a permanent move into residential care, advice from our specialist team can help you to find the right care home.

care assessments

When you ask for support from the NHS or social services you, or the person you care for may need to be assessed to understand what support they need.

We can explain what an assessment is aiming to achieve and guide you through each stage of the process. We know the kind of questions you might be asked, so you can take time to think about your answers. Feeling prepared helps you and the person you're caring for to have a more relaxed and productive assessment.


care needs assessment

This free assessment considers the support and services the person being cared for needs. Everyone is entitled to one, whatever they earn or their individual needs. This is the first step to getting support from adult social services at your local council and you'll receive a care and support plan.


financial assessment

This assessment is a means test carried out by your local authority which determines how much you can afford to pay for care and support. It considers your income, savings and sometimes your property value to calculate how much financial support is available to you.


carer’s assessment

Your local authority looks at the needs of the person who is providing care. It will consider how your life might be affected by being a carer and if you need support. For example, they may be able to provide respite care to give you a break, or a payment – called a 'personal budget’ for activities outside of your role as a carer like a hobby or club.


occupational therapy assessment

An occupational therapist helps people to overcome difficulties so they're able to complete everyday tasks. An occupational therapy assessment will decide what kind of support is needed recommend how that support could be provided. In some situations, we can provide this kind of assessment, but it's also available through the NHS or social services.

support from our specialist services

Dementia UK Admiral Nurses

Admiral Nurses are specialist dementia nurses who support families and carers, as well as the person with dementia. They can help you to understand the condition, feel more in control and offer practical help and advice.

National Autistic Society

Specialist advice and guidance on the challenges autistic people and their families face.


emotional support

One problem can lead to another. If you’re feeling overwhelmed and the situation is taking a toll on your mental wellbeing or affecting your family, then our individual or relationship counselling services can help. Counselling is not just talking. It’s a systematic process. A qualified counsellor listens and helps you to find how to move through the problems you’re facing, develop new strengths and improve your wellbeing.

Counselling can help you: 

  • deal with difficult life events like bereavement or relationship problems
  • process and resolve emotions like guilt, grief, anger, or sadness
  • cope with a crisis
  • work through conflict
  • improve low self-esteem

debt advice

Debt problems can happen to anyone. If you’re based in the UK, our specialist debt advisors take time to understand your situation without judgement. You’ll work together to explore your options and develop a plan to get your finances back in order. We can help you understand your bills and what you owe, negotiate realistic payment plans with creditors on your behalf and will help you prioritise which debts to pay first. Your debt advisor will keep you up to date at every step with advice and information. You can also access our debt toolkit to help you get a handle on your finances. Contact us if you’re living outside the UK to understand the support available that fits your personal circumstances. 
We don’t provide financial assistance towards the repayments of debts.


 care support mythbusting

Am I a carer?

A carer is someone who looks after a family member, partner or friend who needs help due to illness, being frail, having a disability, mental health problem or addiction and they couldn’t cope without that help.

I don’t have a carer. Can you support me if I have an illness or a disability?

Yes. If you’re eligible for support, we’ll support you however we can. Contact us to find out how we can help you.

Who is eligible for support?

We support past and present members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales (ICAEW), ACA students, ICAEW staff members, and the family and carers of members and students. 

  1. No matter where your career takes you, past and present members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England Wales (ICAEW) are eligible for caba’s services for life, even if you change your career and leave accountancy 
  2. ACA students (ICAEW Provisional Members) who are either an active student or have been an active student within the last three years are eligible for caba's services 
  3. Past and present staff members of the ICAEW or caba are eligible for caba's services for life, even if you leave either organisation. Please note, for former employees, our financial support is only available to those who have had five years continuous employment with either organisation 
  4. Family members and carers of either an eligible past or present ICAEW member, ACA student or past or present employee of the ICAEW or caba are eligible for caba's support. We define a family member as a: 
    1. spouse, civil partner or cohabiting partner 
    2. widow, widower or surviving civil partner who has not remarried or cohabiting with a partner 
    3. divorced spouse or civil partner who has not remarried or cohabiting with a partner 
    4. child aged up to 25. Please note, children aged between 16 and 25 are not eligible for individual financial support 
    5. any other person who is dependent on the eligible individual supporting them financially or are reliant on the eligible individual’s care 
    6. any other person on whom the eligible individual is reliant, either financially or for care 

You can find out more about our available support both in the UK and around the world on our support we offer  page. 

Are your services means-tested?

If you need financial support, we carry out a means test where we consider income, expenditure, capital and assets.  

*Please note none of our other services are means-tested. 

Will information I give to caba remain confidential?

We provide confidential and impartial advice and support. Everything you tell us stays with us in strict confidence. We won't disclose any of your details to a third party organisation without informing you first and we never share client information with ICAEW. For full details on how we process your data please refer to our privacy statement.

Will caba support me if I'm outside the UK?

Yes, if you’re eligible for our support, we’ll support you wherever you live however we can. Contact us to find out what support is available where you live.

Does caba help with debt repayments?

We can’t fund debt repayments. However, we do provide debt advice and we can help you explore options to help manage your debt. We can also help negotiate with creditors over repayments and support you in some basic legal proceedings if needed. You may still wish to have legal representation.

How long does it take to receive financial support?

It depends on the individual situation, but we can work very quickly if it’s an emergency.

download our financial support flowchart


What do I need to do to access support?

Just get in touch - call us on +44 (0)1788 556366, email us or fill in the enquiry form.

How do I donate to caba?

You can donate online here, or by post. If you wish, you can also leave a legacy in your will. Please contact your solicitor if you want to leave a bequest in your will. 

Do I have to pay for support?

No, all our support is free.

Do I have to donate to caba to access its support?

Our services are free and you don’t have to donate to be eligible for our support. Donations are entirely voluntary.