19 Nov 2021

Claiming on insurance to help cover the costs of care

Don’t pay for care costs before seeing if you can claim on an existing insurance policy. If you’ve taken out health insurance before, it might be helpful now.

Check for insurance policiesCase study


Think carefully. Check whether you, or someone you’re caring for, has any of the following:

  • Life insurance that has a cash-in value, or will pay out on diagnosis of a terminal illness – as long as your partner or other dependents won’t need the pay-out later.
  • Life insurance with critical illness cover, or a standalone critical illness policy, that might cover the condition or disability you now have. This might be a policy you took out with a mortgage or a separate policy.
  • A long-term care insurance policy. Although very few are available nowadays and they are costly, they were more popular – so you might still have a policy or a long-term care option or benefit within an existing life insurance policy.
  • Benefits available through your employer (if you’re working). This might include, for example, an income or early pension for ill health or a lump sum for terminal illness.
  • An income protection policy you arranged for yourself that will pay out an income if you can’t work because of ill health. Usually, the income stops when you reach retirement.

How do I claim?

Find as much of the original paperwork relating to the insurance policy as you can.

If the policy was bought through a broker, contact them first. They might be able to support you or manage the claim on your behalf.



What if I’m not covered?

If you don’t have any insurance policies that cover you, and you need to pay for some or all of your own care costs, there are other options for you to consider.


This article is provided by the Money Advice Service.

The content of this Factsheet has been created by and is provided by The Money Advice Service and is produced under licence from them.
Please be aware there are links contained within this factsheet that may take you to external sites, we are not responsible for their content. This is a general advice and information factsheet only and should not be treated as a definitive guide and does not constitute legal or professional advice. We are not a law firm and information is not intended to create a solicitor client relationship. Law Express and The Money Advice Service does not accept any responsibility for any loss which may arise from relying on information contained in this factsheet. This is not a substitute for legal advice and specific and personal legal advice should be taken on any individual matter. If you need more details or information about the matters referred to in this factsheet please seek formal legal or financial advice.
The Money Advice Service is not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Money Advice Service does not provide a regulated service. The information and tools that the Money Advice Service provides are generic and should be of general assistance to you in managing your finances. However, the money advice service cannot recommend specific financial products and always recommends that you seek further information from an independent financial adviser, and/or further information from the providers of specific financial products.
This factsheet is correct at time of going to print. The law set out in this factsheet applies to England and Wales unless otherwise stated.