CABA is fully committed to respecting individuals’ right to access personal information held about them in accordance with section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998.
Subject access rights
Any individual who makes a valid subject access request is entitled to be:
- told whether their personal data is being processed;
- given a description of the personal data, reason for processing and whether it has been shared with any other organisations or persons;
- given details of the source of the data (where this is available); and
- given a copy of the information comprising the data.
Individuals are entitled only to their own personal data, and not to information relating to other people unless they are acting on behalf of that person. In these circumstances, written consent will be required.
CABA may not be able to release some information. Information which is exempt from a subject access request includes:
- personal data where disclosure could prejudice the prevention or detection of crime
- management forecasts/management planning
- legal professional privilege (advice received from solicitors, for example)
- personal data identifying another person (a third party) whose details cannot be disclosed without their permission
How to make a request
In order to make a valid subject access request the following must be provided:
- a clear written request by letter, email or fax
- pay the £10 subject access request fee. The fee will be charged on each occasion that access is requested.
Proof of identification may be requested to ensure that the personal information requested is provided to the right person. Two forms of ID will be required. One must be name identification (e.g. Driving Licence, Passport or Birth Certificate) and the other a form of address identification dated in the last three months.
CABA will comply with requests for access to personal information as quickly as is practicable, but will ensure that the information is provided within 40 days, as required by the Act. All subject access requests should be addressed to The Data Protection Officer, CABA, 8 Mitchell Court, Castle Mound Way, Central Park, Rugby CV23 0UY.