Don’t let vegetables languishing at the bottom of your fridge go to waste just because they look a bit sad. Use them to chase away the winter cold in this tasty soup or roughly chop and slow roast with cloves of garlic.
- 200g chopped raw vegetables, such as onions, celery, leeks cauliflower, squash, cabbage, green beans, parsnips or carrots depending on what you have that needs using up
- 300g potatoes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 700ml stock
- 2 tbsps of tomato puree
- 3 garlic cloves
- Crème fraîche and fresh herbs like thyme, basil or parsley, to serve
- Fry 200g chopped raw vegetables with 300g potatoes, peeled and cubed, in 1 tbsp oil for a few minutes until beginning to soften.
- Cover with 700ml stock and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the veg is tender. Blend until smooth, and then season with salt and pepper.
- Add a dollop of crème fraiche, sprinkle over fresh herbs and serve with fresh crusty bread and butter.
- You can freeze the soup for up to 1 month. Thaw and then reheat until the soup is piping hot.