Have you ever been completely absorbed by a TV programme and looked down with surprise at the pile of sweet wrappers in your lap? This is a perfect example of mind-LESS eating.
Savour the flavour
Mindful eating meditation
Choose a bite size piece of food like a square of chocolate or a piece of cheese.
- Hold the food in your hand. Look closely. Notice its colour, texture and shape
- Turn it over in your hands. Is it hard or soft? Sticky or springy?
- Bring the food to your nose and inhale its smell
- Place a tiny piece on your tongue and taste its flavour
- Chew slowly. Notice the texture and whether the taste changes
- Is a taste left in your mouth after you swallow?
Eat more mindfully every day
Follow these tips to pepper your day with moments of mindful eating:
- Give your meal your full attention. Unplug while you eat
- Eat at a properly laid table when you can
- Pause. Notice and appreciate appetising aromas and the colour of your food
- Take a moment to be grateful. Consider everyone who has contributed to providing your meal
- Slow down. Take time to appreciate the full flavour of your food and enjoy each mouthful